A FIREWORK display at Princethorpe College has left residents in uproar after a foal died.
‘Princefest’ was meant to be a way to show off the school with a host of bands, a funfair and an impressive firework display.
But nearby villagers have hit out at festival organisers after their animals were subjected to ‘unbearable’ loud noise and a foal named Chrome had to be put to sleep after becoming spooked and breaking his back.
The foal’s owner Pat Ormond said: “After 12 hours of incredibly loud music, a massive firework display was how the concert was ended in a rural area surrounded by livestock.
“Princethorpe took the time to warn their own tenant farmer and the neighbours with no livestock, yet overlooked approaching the people who do have animals next door. Such a shame no thought was given to all the animals, domestic and wild who had no choice but to be next to the noise.”
Neighbour and horse breeder Pat Ruck also voiced her disgust at the lack of warning given by the college.
She said: “The 50 horses and foals just up the road from Princethorpe College were subjected to unbearable loud noise all day and night and then a huge firework display.
“We were not informed and had no opportunity to ensure our horses were safely inside – but even inside the noise was unbearable and horses were climbing the walls.”
Princethorpe College maintain they did speak to the farm before the event took place but have since apologised for the death of the foal.
A spokeswoman told the Observer: “We are extremely sorry to hear about a sad incident involving a foal at a local farm. We had spoken to the farm and informed them of the arrangements for our event including a firework display just before 11pm.
“We endeavoured to communicate our plans with the immediate local community in the weeks running up to the event through a variety of different means, including a banner at the bottom of the college drive and liaison with the parish council.
“We apologise unreservedly to anyone who was not aware of the event and was unduly disturbed. The incident is clearly very regrettable and our thoughts are with those affected.”