A BURNT-DOWN bakery is set to be turned into 40 flats.
The former site of commercial cake makers Elisabeth the Chef on St Mary’s Road has been derelict for a number of years and was targeted by arsonists last May.
Developers Stonewater plan to knock down the site and build 40 flats, of which five will be affordable housing. There will be 16 one-bed properties on the site and 24 two-bedroom flats.
The developers will also widen vehicle access from St Mary’s Road and create private parking for residents.
Objections were submitted by concerned residents who say the blocks of flats will be too tall and there will be lack of affordable housing on the site.
But council officers opted to give the plans the go-ahead.
Elisabeth the Chef opened its first cake shop in Leamington in 1928. It expanded to a commercial business in 1969, supplying the likes of Harrods and Marks and Spencer.
The business was bought by the French group Senoble in 2008 and production was moved to a new factory in Berrington Road.
The St Mary’s road site was finally closed in 2010 and has remained untouched since.