Leamington landlord fined after fire put tenants' lives at risk - The Leamington Observer

Leamington landlord fined after fire put tenants' lives at risk

Leamington Editorial 19th Aug, 2015 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

A FIRE at seven bedsits has led to a landlord being fined for ‘serious offences’ which put his tenants’ lives in danger.

Manjit Chima was fined nearly £11,000 after a fire broke out in the communal kitchen at his property at 83 Westlea Road, Leamington. The two-storey house is split into seven bedsits.

Luckily the tenants escaped and suffered only smoke inhalation following the fire.

Magistrates at Nuneaton Justice Centre heard the incident led to an investigation by the Fire Service and Warwick District Council.

It uncovered doors leading from the kitchen had previously been removed by the landlord, which meant there was no way to contain any fire in the room. A garage and outbuilding had also been converted into flats with with no fire escape windows.

The fire alarm failed to operate properly, and Mr Chima was unable to provide any servicing records for the alarm, or any gas and electric inspections.

Magistrates at Nuneaton Justice Centre told Mr Chima they had taken into account the offences were very serious as failing to provide and maintain fire precautions had put his tenants’ lives in danger.

Coun Peter Phillips, spokesman for housing services, said: “The vast majority of landlords work well with the council and provide good quality accommodation. The situation at 82 Westlea Road could easily have had a tragic outcome. Council officers will not hesitate to prosecute where tenants’ health and safety is put at risk by landlords blatantly disregarding the law.”

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Leamington Observer.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.