A BURNT-DOWN bakery could be turned into 40 new flats if plans are given the green light.
The former site of commercial cake makers Elisabeth the Chef on St Mary’s Road has been derelict for a number of years and was subject to an arson attack in May.
Now developers Stonewater want to knock down the site and build 40 flats, of which five will be affordable housing.
Proposals include widening vehicle access from St Mary’s Road and creating private parking for residents.
Elisabeth the Chef opened its first cake shop in Leamington in 1928. It expanded to a commercial business in 1969, supplying delicious delicacies to the likes of Harrods and Marks and Spencer.
The business was bought by the French group Senoble in 2008 and production was moved to a new factory in Berrington Road.
The St Mary’s road site was finally closed in 2010 and has remained untouched since.