FIREFIGHTERS were called to a huge blaze at St Nicholas Park after the historic rangers hut went up in flames.
Crews raced to the building on Banbury Road in Warwick at around 3am on Saturday (May 5) after receiving calls it was alight.
Firefighters say they were at the scene for ‘some time’ extinguishing the blaze, which completely destroyed the hut which was used by district park rangers.
The hut was built in 1913 – 30 years before the park actually opened.
The cause of the fire had not been reported at the time The Observer went to press, although we were told there were no reports of anyone being evacuated from the two neighbouring cottages.
Warwick District Council neighbourhood spokeswoman Coun Moira-Ann Grainger said: “The ranger hut was used on a daily basis as a base for our rangers who patrol the park and car parks in Warwick.
“Our priority over the bank holiday weekend was to make the area safe for park users and neighbouring properties. We are extremely disappointed that such an old building has been destroyed by fire, we are awaiting the results of the fire investigation before work begins to clear the site.
“No decision has been made at this stage about whether the hut will be replaced.”
Friends of St Nicholas Park spoke out about the loss of the hut. A spokeswoman said: “We are saddened we have lost part of the park’s heritage. We are fortunate that some of the historic buildings still remain and it is so important to preserve them for all of us to enjoy.”
Shock and sadness was also expressed on social media.
Shane Jennings said: “That’s made me really sad. It’s been there since I was a kid.”
Lani Wong added: “I loved seeing people sitting outside this lovely little hut on my way through the park.”
And Michael Perry said: “So sad, so many happy memories of St Nicks as we used to call it.”