Ally Keays on target as Warwick ladies claim a point at North Stafford Ladies - The Leamington Observer

Ally Keays on target as Warwick ladies claim a point at North Stafford Ladies

Steve Carpenter 15th Feb, 2017 Updated: 16th Feb, 2017   0

HOCKEY: WARWICK Ladies came from behind to rescue a valuable point on the road at North Stafford Ladies on Saturday.

Preparations were far from ideal for Warwick after their arrival was delayed and the visitors started the match poor.

The unsettled start meant Warwick lost concentration which resulted in North Stafford scoring an goal early on which proved to be the only breakthrough in the first half.

After an inspiring half-time team talk, Warwick came out rejuvenated after the break and put in a gutsier second half performance.

Despite the sleet and hail, at times Warwick played some good hockey and their patience was rewarded when Ally Keays received a perfectly placed ball from Alyssa Mildenstein to go one-on-one with the home keeper.

Keays maintained her composure and calmly slotted the ball past the keeper to draw the score level at 1-1.

The game continued with both teams applying lots of attacking pressure and Warwick’s defence had much to do in the latter part of the half.

They were forced to defend a succession of short corners but thankfully they did not concede another goal as they came home with a well earned point.

In the men’s section, Warwick’s third team battled hard to come from two goals down and earn a 2-2 draw at Loughborough Town who had been seemingly scoring for fun against other sides in the league.

Warwick were slow out of the blocks and took a while to get going in a first half that saw the visitors absorb lots of pressure.

Loughborough took the league through a shot short corner and the hosts were able to double their advantage when Matt Walmsley was beaten at his near post.

Rob Arthur and Nick Baker got more involved as the opening period progressed and opportunities started to come their way.

John Kane and David Harris came close while the home keeper had to dive at full stretch to keep out Rob Arthur’s shot.

A Nick Baker drag flick looked destined for the corner of the net but his effort was excellently saved by the stick of the diving keeper.

Being two goals down at the break, Warwick knew they had it all do in the second half and there were immediate signs of improvement with Simon Shepherd, Henry Curren, Archie Gale and Ed Hare all working tirelessly and making threatening attacks.

They were soon back in the match when a move down the right involving Matt Walmsley and Simon Shepherd resulted in a cross forced to the far post where John Kane was on hand to flick the ball over the advancing keeper.

Warwick’s pressure set up another move down the left and Andy Sedgwick spotted a chance for a crash ball into the D which took a deflection high into the Loughborough net.

With both sides competing hard in all areas of the pitch the game became tense and a yellow card for Rob Arthur added more pressure for Warwick.

David Harris dropped into defence alongside Nick Baker and Warwick held firm to earn a share of the spoils.

Warwick’s fifth team also draw by the same 2-2 scoreline, with Claudio Cardelino bagging a brace against Rugby & East Warwickshire.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.