Brakes made to settle for a point at home to Hednesford - The Leamington Observer

Brakes made to settle for a point at home to Hednesford

Leamington Editorial 8th Dec, 2014 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

BRAKES battled back from a subdued first half performance to bag a well deserved point at home to Hednesford in the Conference North.

In comparison with previous encounters against the Pitmen, this was a rather low key affair at the New Windmill Ground on Saturday afternoon.

It was the visitors who took an early lead after just three minutes in the first real attack of the match.

Richard Batchelor saw his header saved by Connal Trueman but Glenn Walker was on-hand to poke home the loose ball from close range.

The game hit something of a lull after this with very little happening until Jamey Osbourne set off on a strong weaving run through the Leamington defence, only for Trueman to deny him with another good stop.

The Birmingham City youngster also denied Danny Glover as the striker directed a good header towards goal from a free kick.

Hednesford were worthy of their advantage and were clearly the better side without completely dominating, but Brakes began to wake from their slumber before half time and could have gone in level.

Lee Moore saw his glancing header from a free kick drop just wide and prior to this Lee Chilton had a low drive blocked with Danny Newton shooting wide from the rebound.

It was Newton who continued to be the driving force as Leamington produced a reinvigorated second half display.

He headed another chance over the bar before a powerful run from a central position ended with a shot to match, stinging the palms of Dan Crane who made a save for the first time in the game.

Newton then blazed a shot over the bar from close range when he probably should have at least hit the target after the ball was played into the six yard box from a corner, while Stefan Moore and Jack Edwards both failed to get on the end of a bouncing ball in the same area as it dropped kindly for the visitors.

Brakes had been knocking on the door for some time and they got their just reward 25 minutes from time thanks to Newton who dragged the ball down as Jamie Tank lifted it back into the box before stabbing low past Crane into the corner.

The game then entered another scrappy phase with Moore and substitute Matt Dodd seeing efforts at goal go astray, while the referee failed to spot Tank almost having his shirt lifted off his back in the penalty area.

It was Hednesford who almost snatched a dramatic last gasp winner however when Osbourne’s shot from the left clipped the inside of the post and trickled across the six-yard box.

Amazingly nobody was able to get on the end of the loose ball and the danger was cleared. A defeat would have been harsh on Brakes after their second half showing, a draw being a fair result over the 90 minutes.

Lee Chilton wins an important header. (s) Photo by Sally Ellis

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.


Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.