Harbury claim bragging rights over rivals Claverdon - The Leamington Observer

Harbury claim bragging rights over rivals Claverdon

Leamington Editorial 23rd Nov, 2016 Updated: 24th Nov, 2016   0

RUGBY UNION: A TIGHTLY fought derby match from start to finish ended with a narrow 19-18 victory for Harbury over rivals Claverdon in the Midlands 4 West (South).

Claverdon made a dream start by taking the lead with less than three minutes on the clock thanks to a converted try but Harbury responded well and levelled the scores just minutes later.

After the visitors had conceded a plethora of penalties, the hosts began to achieve increasing dominance in the set scrums and a quick-heeled ball was taken at pace by Mark Anderson who used his speed to touch down wide out on the left and Dave Rooney kicked an excellent conversion.

Claverdon used the slope and wind to their advantage and were soon back in front when Harbury were penalised and the simple conversion took them three points in front.

The visitors extended their lead further thanks to an unconverted try but once again there was a positive response as Harbury reduced the deficit once more.

Lock forward Seymour took a pass from a quick ball won at a maul and crossed over for an unconverted try.

There was still time for Claverdon to score another penalty to hold a 12-18 lead at half-time.

Harbury emerged from a serious discussion and began to play in a far more committed manner.

They were met with a determined defence across the board and too often simple chances were not taken as Harbury failed to move the ball wide to their speedy wingers.

Nonetheless, the hosts kept on the pressure with the only relief for the visitors coming from touch finding kicks or when the hosts coughed up the occasional penalty.

Harbury continued their abrasive approach in the sets and forced penalties from the Claverdon scrum. Claverdon were penalised three times in a row as they desperately tried to keep Harbury’s pack at bay.

On the fourth transgression the referee’s patience was tested to the full and he awarded a penalty try, which was converted and Harbury took a very narrow lead for the first time.

The final ten minutes was territorially dominated by Harbury and to their credit Claverdon defended well.

Paul Evans thought he had scored a fourth try late on but despite grounding the ball, the referee adjudged otherwise, but Harbury emerged victors of an exciting and tough match at the final whistle.

On Saturday Harbury will be looking to build on their fifth-place position when they travel to Coventrians.


Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.