Injury to referee calls halt on Kenilworth clash - The Leamington Observer

Injury to referee calls halt on Kenilworth clash

Leamington Editorial 5th Jan, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

KENILWORTH’s already re-scheduled match away to Hereford was abandoned on Saturday with just 40 minutes played after the referee suffered what appeared to be an ankle injury after less than half-an-hour, writes Sophie Freestone.

The score was 10-0 to Hereford when the match as abandoned, but despite the deficit, Kenilworth had the upper hand as the first half came to a close.

The home side took an early lead after just seven minutes with a try from number eight James Harris.

Hereford had been awarded a kickable penalty in front of the posts but instead chose to go for touch and after a line out and series of scrums, Harris crossed from the base of the scrum to give the home side a 5-0 lead.

Kenilworth then had great field position inside the Hereford half but a strong scrum against the head from the home side allowed Hereford to clear their lines to halfway before a penalty kick to the corner gave them another attacking opportunity just inside the Kenilworth 22.

A drive from the line out resulted in a second try after 12 minutes from Lloyd Willcox, but the missed conversion left the score at 10-0.

Kenilworth eventually relieved the pressure from Hereford after the restart following a great pounce on the ball from flanker Ollie Burnham to earn his side a penalty, which Josh Hickman duly kicked to touch.

This led to a period of play which saw Kenilworth in some good field positions inside the Hereford half, but the visitors were unable to make the most of their opportunities with the ball lost at the subsequent line out, before they were later penalised for holding on.

This gave possession back to Hereford who took play back inside the Kenilworth half where they were held up on the line and it was in this phase of play that the referee suffered his match ending injury.

Hereford continued to trouble the Kenilworth defence, before scrum half Gaz Renowden made a superb tackle to halt a further attack from the home side.

With just under ten minutes to play in the first half, Kenilworth’s fortunes started to change, with a Hereford forward seeing yellow for serious foul play.

Their one man advantage ignited Kenilworth’s attack, as a great driving maul took them right up to the try line. A scrum resulted, but Gaz Renowden knocked the ball on as they approached the line to bring the half, and ultimately the game, to a close.

With less than 60 minutes played, the match will be rescheduled, and is to be replayed on 12th March.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Leamington Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.