Kenilworth eight points from safety after tasting another defeat at relegation rivals Hereford - The Leamington Observer

Kenilworth eight points from safety after tasting another defeat at relegation rivals Hereford

Leamington Editorial 15th Mar, 2017 Updated: 16th Mar, 2017   0

RUGBY UNION: KENILWORTH now sit eight points adrift at the bottom of the Midlands 1 West division following a heavy 52-8 defeat away at fellow strugglers Hereford.

The match was a tight contest in the opening minutes with neither side able to penetrate the opposition’s defence.

Hereford struck first however, scoring the game’s opening try after 15 minutes of play. A powerful catch and drive allowed Luke Fisher to cross the whitewash and Dean Powell’s conversion ensured Hereford came away with the full seven points.

Josh Hickman then opened Kenilworth’s account with three points after Hereford conceded a penalty but that was as close as Kenilworth would get to their West England opposition.

The hosts scored their next try when a break from Tom Ewins put Perry Pudge into space, allowing him to turn on the gas to cross the line. Hereford’s third try then came after some good hands with Ollie Hutcheson scoring under the posts.

The hosts wrapped up the bonus point try inside the first half when Ben Osborne broke through the Kenilworth defence before offloading to Charlie Loughman who made his way past two defenders before crossing.

The conversions from Powell ensured the hosts went into the break with a commanding 26-3 lead.

Kenilworth were playing down the slope in the second half and their backs were given the opportunity to string together some attacking moves that showed signs of pressurising the Hereford defence.

The hosts extended their lead after a kick ahead was chased by Loughman who stripped the Kenilworth defender before passing to Richard Preece for the try. Powell added the extras before a sixth try was scored, this time by forward Luke Fisher, who was pushed over the line for a 38-3 lead.

Andrew Potter then followed Fisher’s score with another try from the pack after Kenilworth went down to 14 men following Rhys Jones’ unfortunate yellow card. Powell’s conversion attempt sailed through the uprights to extend his side’s lead to 42 points.

Kenilworth then found themselves down to 13 men when Ed Rogers was harshly yellow carded for a marginally late tackle.

The extra players made it easy for Pudge to make a break in the centre of the park before Loughman was released to score his second try of the afternoon, with Powell again adding the extras.

Kenilworth then scored a well deserved consolation try when scrum half Gaz Renowden collected the ball and sniped over the line. Hickman’s conversion was just wide of the mark to give Hereford a 52-8 victory.

Next up for Kenilworth is Worcester Wanderers, who travel to Glasshouse Lane on Saturday.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Leamington Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.