Leamingon lose ground on league leaders Poole - The Leamington Observer

Leamingon lose ground on league leaders Poole

Leamington Editorial 6th Apr, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

LEAMINGTON slipped seven points away from league leaders Poole after losing 1-0 away at fellow Evostik Southern League Premier Division play-off hopefuls Weymouth on Tuesday night.

After being recalled to the side, striker Courtney Baker-Richardson had the first chance of the match but he headed a Richard Taundry free kick over the bar on five minutes, while at the other end Tony Breeden had to be alert to deny Jordon Copp.

Chances were few and far between but the best opportunity of the first half fell to Jack Edwards whose header from a throw in struck the bar.

Rob Ogleby was introduced at the break for Ben Mackey as the visitors stepped up their efforts to find an opener and the substitute almost opened the scoring just after the hour mark after getting in behind the Weymouth back line but he struck his effort straight at the home goalkeeper.

Just minutes later Weymouth got their noses in front thanks to a Jake Wannell header from a free kick which left Leamington with it all to do in the final 25 minutes.

Sam Austin came close to scoring an equaliser on 74 minutes but his shot from the edge of the box was blocked and moments later Wannall made a goal-saving block to deny Ogleby.

Weymouth almost bagged a second but Alex Gudger scrambled the ball off the line and the last chance of the match fell to Edwards but he could only direct his header straight at Matthews in the Weymouth goal.

On Saturday Brakes picked up what could prove to be a very useful point away at table toppers Redditch United.

But more frustratingly another red card will see Callum Gittings added to an injury and suspension list that continues to grow with just four games remaining.

The match had not been a particularly bad tempered affair during the first half but seemed to degenerate a little during the second, possibly due to what was at stake for both sides if they were able to win.

Jack Edwards blazed a first time shot over the bar inside the opening couple of minutes but it was always going to be difficult for the visitors who came up against a Redditch side who have not lost at the Valley Stadium since the opening day of the season.

They served notice of their attacking threat when skipper Ashley Sammons latched onto a half clearance on the edge of the box and hot a well struck first time volley wide of the target.

Right back Simeon Maye’s effort from a similar position proved more challenging for Brakes keeper Tony Breeden but he was able to get down well to his right to save.

Redditch began the second half with intent. Sammons’ skidding low drive bounced just the wrong side of the post, while Maye should probably have at least hit the target when he blazed over from inside the six yard box.

Brakes tried to respond but efforts from Connor Gudger and Austin flew off target, while Edwards hit another well wide.

Leamington were reduced to ten men when Gittings, who had picked up an earlier booking, received another for apparent dissent after being pulled up for what the referee perceived to be a handball.

Redditch made the most of their one man advantage but were unable to find a winner and the visitors could have snatched all three points but substitute Ben Mackey saw he header come back off the post.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.