Three wins on the bounce for Kenilworth - The Leamington Observer

Three wins on the bounce for Kenilworth

Leamington Editorial 22nd Jun, 2018   0

KENILWORTH claimed a three-wicket victory over Moseley Ashfield to make it three wins on the spin in Warwickshire League Division One.

Kenilworth invited the visitors to bat first and Steve Rhodes soon had the visitors one down, clean bowling Matt Ward for two.

The visitors then began to dig in as opener Oliver Thomas (27) and Phil Jeffries (22) put on a stand of 48, before both fell in quick succession.

John Pemberton made 14 and Kamran Qamar made 36 but Ashfield struggled after they were out.

The visitors unable to bat their fifty overs and were all out for just 134 in the 41st over.

Along with the wicket from Rhodes (1-28 from seven overs), it was the spinning duo of Jorjeet Singh and Darius Potten Ravensshad who did all the damage.

Both bowlers took four wickets each.

Singh had outstanding figures of 4-19 from 8.1 overs and Potten Ravensshad with 4-31 from 12 tidy overs.

Kenilworth had a terrible start in reply, losing Adrian Sellar without scoring.

When Chris Prophet fell for five, Kenilworth were in trouble at 18-2.

Sunny Ahmed and Tom Booker took the score to 44 before the latter fell for ten as the home side’s innings in the ballance at 44 for 3.

Two more home wickets fell to leave Kenilworth at 71-5.

However, Sunny Ahmed was still at the crease and he was then joined by Henry Curran with the pair adding a valuable partnership of 49 for the sixth wicket.

Ahmed was eventually dismissed for a superb innings of 70, which featured eight boundaries and two sixes.

The partnership almost got the home side to victory at 120-6 but the loss of one one more wicket for the visitors set up a close finish but Curran with a fine 31 not out saw his side home on 138-7 in the 37th over.

The Seconds claimed a winning draw over Weoley Hill in Division Seven.

Visitors Kenilworth were asked to bat first and openers Mark Stranks and captain Dan Horner strode to the middle for the visitors.

Horner (8) was the first wicket to fall with the score on ten.

Young batsman George Baines joined Stranks at the crease and the pair began to build a partnership together.

Both players found the boundary often and looked like making the decision to put Kenilworth into bat a bad one.

After the two players had got the score to 148, Baines was out for a fine innings of 40.

George Boylin added a brisk 16 in a stand of 21 with Stranks.

The home side reduced the visitors to 195-5 but Stranks was still going strong, bringing up yet another century and was finally out for 114.

David Barclay weighed in with a quick fire 44 not out along with Elliot Haynes Sorrell (11 not out) as the visitors finished on 267-7 from their 50 overs.

Javed Luhar (4-45) and Stewart McConvery (2-46) shared the wickets.

Weoley openers Michael Grant (15) and Ross Crathorn put a steady opening partnership together before Max Howard removed the former Grant with the score on 74.

Luhar joined McConvery and kept their side in the hunt, taking the score to 124.

The pair added 50 before Luhar fell to the spin of Chris Beach for 23.

A wicket for Charlie Stranks left the home side on 134-3 and then 169-4.

Two wickets for Max Howard left the game in the ballance at 191-6.

Another wicket each for Charlie Stranks and Howard meant Weoley were now 245-8.

However, McConvery was still there and ended up with an unbeaten 147 as Weoley fell just short on 259-8 to settle for a losing draw.

Meanwhile, the Thirds claimed a narrow two-run victory over Earlswood in Division Six.

Sam Leach lost the toss and Kenilworth were asked to bat.

Openers Uma Shanker and Ant Kerry strode to the wicket but after a steady start they fell with the score on 25.

Andy Dadswell and Nigel Thompson looked to be positive until Dadswell fell to a sharp catch at slip for 11 with the score now at 48-3.

The fall of Dadswell bought Jack Howard to join Thompson and through sensible batting and rotating the strike, the pair add a fine 95 together.

Howard eventually fell just one short of a credible half century with Kenilworth well-placed at 143-4 from 35 overs.

Tom Anscombe (14) was next in but soon departed but Ed Smith (27 not out) stepped up the temp to guide Kenilworth to 212-5 from their allotted 45 overs.

Dadswell and Smith opened the attack for Kenilworth and both claimed an early wicket each to reduce Earlswood to 13-2.

Another wicket for Smith left Earslwood in trouble at 36-3 but with a dark cloud appearing from nowhere the players were forced off after just 11.2 overs.

After the rain stopped, both sides agreed to restart and Earlswood were given a revised total of 180 from 38 overs to claim victory.

With a wet ball, Leach made an immediate change at both ends as spinners Geoff Edmunds and Tom Skinner replaced Dadswell and Smith.

This put the brakes on the home side with both picking up early wickets to reduce Earlswood to 88-5 after 19 overs.

However, Neil Thorne was determined to push his side on before he was removed with Earlswood at 169-9 heading into the final over.

Needing 11 runs to win, Earlswood could only manage eight which meant they finished on 177-9, gifting Kenilworth a close victory.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.