A FAMILY had a ‘lucky escape’ after a lamp burnt through floorboards in a room next to where two young children were sleeping.
Neighbours reported a smell of burning coming from the house on Binswood Street in Leamington at around 11pm on Friday (May 18).
Firefighters found a halogen security lamp had accidentally switched on and smouldered the carpet before burning a hole in the floorboards in the bedroom next to where the young children were sleeping.
Crews were able to tackle the fire before it had taken hold.
The house – which had no smoke alarms fitted – is currently undergoing renovation work and it is believed the lamp had been placed on a bedroom carpet. Once night time fell the light’s sensor triggered causing it to heat and then smoulder.
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Services Crew Commander, Andy Bishton is warning people to ensure smoke alarms are fitted in their homes.
He said: “With two children in the next room and no smoke detectors in the house it could have been a tragic story. I would like to commend the neighbour for acting so quickly by reporting the smell of burning. Had we not received the call, the outcome could have been fatal.
“I would urge all residents to ensure that they have a working smoke alarm on each floor of their home, even when you are undertaking renovations.
“A smoke alarm is key to giving you the early warning you need to get out of your home safely before a fire takes hold.”
Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/safeandwellvisit to request a safety check from firefighters.