COUNCIL chiefs are warning people to expect delays in Kenilworth this weekend.
The Kenilworth Horse Fair is set to return to the town on Saturday and Sunday with surrounding roads likely to be impacted by traffic.
Earlier this year, the Observer reported how townspeople still had major concerns about the disruption caused by the regular event despite bosses at Warwick District Council maintaining complaints about the festival had reduced ‘considerably.’
Around 20,000 members of the traveller community flocked to the town over the weekend of July 30 for the fair – one of the biggest
Travellers began arriving as early as three days before the event, with many setting up camp along the Kenilworth Road where they also tethered their horses.
But Warwick District Council said even though more people were attending the fair – which is held three times a year – and stopping in town for longer, fewer complaints were being made.
The July event saw police called to a number of incidents including anti-social behaviour and horses tethered in the street.
The RSPCA also say they received two calls from concerned residents but by the time an inspector arrived the horses had been moved on.
And ahead of the final horse fair of the year taking place this weekend, council chiefs are reminding motorists about the potential hold ups.
Peter Cutts, Safer Communities Manager, said: “The two events this year have been exceptionally busy and if the volume of traffic is similar, people should expect delays.
“A traffic management plan will be in place but residents should try and avoid the roads to and from Thickthorn if possible.”
Email Pete.email@example.com or call 01926 456021 for further information.