Dog owners warned about throwing sticks for their pet - The Leamington Observer

Dog owners warned about throwing sticks for their pet

Leamington Editorial 20th Nov, 2016   0

DOG owners are being warned of the potential danger of throwing sticks for their pet to chase.

Vet Kieran O’Halloran from Avonvale Veterinary Centres said dogs chasing sticks often ran onto them, causing major trauma to their mouths and throats.

He told The Observer: “Stick injuries are very common and can be life-threatening; I’ve had a case where a dog was left having to be fed through a tube in her neck after I removed a four-inch piece of stick from her throat.

“At this time of year when sticks abound I would desperately urge owners to use alternative toys such as balls or tug ropes. The mouth and throat are extremely delicate and we’ve seen some horrendous injuries which could be avoided if only owners knew the dangers.”




Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Advertising

Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.