Dog owners warned throwing sticks poses danger to pets - The Leamington Observer

Dog owners warned throwing sticks poses danger to pets

Ian Hughes 28th Nov, 2016   0

DOG owners are being warned of the potential danger of throwing sticks for their pet to chase.

Vet Kieran O’Halloran from Avonvale Veterinary Centres said dogs chasing sticks often ran onto them, causing major trauma to their mouths and throats.

He told The Observer: “Stick injuries are very common and can be life-threatening; I’ve had a case where a dog was left having to be fed through a tube in her neck after I removed a four-inch piece of stick from her throat.

“At this time of year when sticks abound I would desperately urge owners to use alternative toys such as balls or tug ropes. The mouth and throat are extremely delicate and we’ve seen some horrendous injuries which could be avoided if only owners knew the dangers.”




Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Leamington Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Advertising

Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience