VETS in Warwickshire have successfully treated what it believes is its first case of tetanus in a dog in at least a decade.
Boxer Prince was taken to a Avonvale Veterinary Centres’ practice showing signs of muscle stiffness and was struggling to urinate, symptoms which experienced vet Anita White quickly identified as tetanus.
While more common in humans, tetanus is an extremely rare condition in dogs and is caused by infection of a wound by bacteria. The bacteria produce a toxin which can affect the spinal cord and brain and, left untreated, it can be fatal.
Prince spent three weeks in Avonvale’s care and needed a lot of supportive treatment, such as antibiotics, muscle relaxation techniques and nursing care.
He made a full recovery and is now back at home.
Clinical director Simon Davies said: “Prince was such a great patient through what must have been an incredibly anxious experience for him.
“When he first came in, he was struggling to move his limbs and had difficulty urinating. Some of the other symptoms which can help identify tetanus are the muscles on the head contracting and increased anxiety.
“His resilience and his owner`s commitment saw him through a lengthy and challenging ordeal.
“Prince’s owner was so grateful to Anita White, our experienced vet who had seen the problem before and recognised it at an early stage.”
For more information about Avonvale, which has branches in Kenilworth, Stratford, Warwick, Heathcote, Southam, Wellesbourne and Cubbington, visit www.avonvets.co.uk or search for Avonvale Veterinary Centres on Facebook.