Dog with expensive taste swallows pearl earring - The Leamington Observer

Dog with expensive taste swallows pearl earring

Leamington Editorial 23rd Sep, 2019   0

A PLAYFUL pup with expensive taste gave his owners a fright after swallowing a pearl earring.

Three-month-old Jack Russell terrier Max was rushed to Avonvale Vets out-of-hours service in Warwick after gobbling the jewellery which owner Maria Rosso from Bidford had been wearing just seconds earlier.

But it proved to be a waiting game. After an xray showed the precious pearl in the pup’s stomach vets decided the best thing to do was wait and see if it made an appearance the following day.

Avonvale clinical director Kieran O’Halloran said: “He was kept in overnight and further xrays the next morning showed the earring was making good progress through the intestines, so we sent Max home and told the owner to do some careful poo watching.

“Everyone was delighted that the earring made a reappearance the next day.

“Dogs, especially puppies, are not very discerning about what they choose to eat, so you have to keep an extremely close eye on them.”

Owner Maria was left ‘horrified’ after realising her pup had eaten the earring.

She said: “I was wearing my pearl earrings as I played with Max. After we finished playing I realised that one of them had disappeared. I was horrified.

“My husband checked in Max’s mouth and could see it at the back of this throat but Max gulped it down before he could reach it.

“Max is both adorable and a little odd looking. He has very large paws and one ear bigger than the other. He is also a rascal, and like most young dogs, he will try and eat anything. We have to keep a really close eye on him.”

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.