AN ELDERLY man was ‘lucky to get out alive’ after his house set alight.
Firefighters were called to Barrowfield Lane in Kenilworth at around 3pm today (Monday).
The kitchen had set alight and was heavily smoke-logged.
A friend of the man who was inside the property had rescued him, and firefighters gave him oxygen until paramedics arrived.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus ventilated the smoke from the building.
And the Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support helped the man find alternative accommodation.
A spokesman from Kenilworth Fire Station said: “The resident was extremely lucky to get out of the property alive. There were no smoke alarms in the property, this would have given him early warning of the fire.
“Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service provide a free safe and well check in your home.”
Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/fire-safety to find out more about a safe and well check.