Fire chiefs remind Warwickshire residents about carbon monoxide dangers - The Leamington Observer

Fire chiefs remind Warwickshire residents about carbon monoxide dangers

Leamington Editorial 27th Nov, 2022   0

FIRE CHIEFS are reminding Warwickshire residents about the importance of having working carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.

During Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service is highlighting the need for households to make sure their fuel burning appliances – such as boilers and gas fires – are properly installed and maintained. This includes getting them tested by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Since October 2022, the rules for carbon monoxide alarms in homes have changed, and landlords now have a legal obligation to fit CO detectors in any room used as living accommodation containing a fixed combustion appliance, excluding gas cookers.

According to figures from Project Shout, every year an estimated 50 people in the UK die from carbon monoxide poisoning while 200 people become seriously ill from the effects of it.




Warwickshire County Council’s fire spokesman Coun Andy Crump said: “Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it.

“Poisoning from carbon monoxide can occur when any fuel-burning appliance, such as a boiler, gas fire or central heating system has not been properly installed, maintained, or if there’s a lack of proper ventilation.


“If your gas appliances are overdue for a service, CO Awareness Week is the perfect time to get them checked by a professionally qualified Gas Safe engineer. Also, make sure you have a working carbon monoxide alarm in the same room as any heating appliance that doesn’t run off electricity.”

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue recommends you Stay ‘CO Aware’ by following these tips:

– Know what carbon monoxide is and what causes it.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell and is known as the ‘silent killer’. It can make people feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.

It can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely.

– Know the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and what to do if you feel ill.

It can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse, loss of consciousness.

Anyone who thinks they may be suffering from CO poisoning should contact their GP.

For more advice on carbon monoxide visit https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/carbonmonoxideawareness

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.