A FORMER Leamington man accused of the murder of Nuneaton father Bradd Darby, who died in hospital of a stab wound, has been remanded in custody.
James Norton appeared at Warwick Crown Court charged with the murder of 30-year-old Mr Darby and two charges of wounding two other men arising from the same incident.
The 29 year-old of Toler Road, Nuneaton, but formerly of Grove Street, Leamington, is also alleged to have had an offensive weapon and to have been in possession of a disguised firearm.
Prosecutor Aliya Rashid said Mr Norton had called police around 6.15am on February 20, saying he had been attacked by two men in Nuneaton.
Later that morning there was a report of a man carrying a knife, and the incident then took place in which Mr Darby was fatally injured, and two other men were also said to have been stabbed.
But Miss Rashid pointed out Mr Norton says he was attacked, and the other men had the weapons.
She said as well as allegedly having a large kitchen knife, Mr Norton is said to have had a torch which had been converted into a Taser-type weapon.
The charges were not put to Mr Norton, but he is expected to plead not guilty, and Miss Rashid said for the trial there were currently nine ‘civilian witnesses’ and up to three police officers.
David Everett, defending, said there were a number of the prosecution witnesses who would have to be challenged.”
Miss Rashid said Mr Norton’s custody time limit, the period of time unless extended a person can be held in custody before standing trial, expired on August 24.
Judge Andrew Lockhart QC adjourned the case for enquiries to be made to find a venue for the trial, and for a plea and trial preparation hearing to take place on March 23.
There was no application for bail.