THE KINGSLEY School in Leamington marked its 135th year with a summer garden party and art exhibition.
The event was attended by pupils past and present, parents, and staff, who enjoyed afternoon tea in the garden, tours of the Victorian Manor House that now houses the senior school, and a special commemorative piano recital from pupil Jessica Ellis.
The art exhibition featured drawings, paintings, sculptures, photography and textiles work.
Headteacher Heather Owens took the opportunity to say a fond farewell to two long-serving members of staff – Jo Bailey, deputy head and teacher of geography, and Marlys Wright, who has been integral to the running of the school office for 26 years.
The event also saw the launch of the school’s new book 135, written by former staff member and historian Rebecca Dyson, which offers an insight into the history of the school, including photographs from the late 1800s, the wartime fire-watch log, and notable past pupils.
The Beauchamp Avenue girls’ school – originally Leamington High School for Girls – was founded by Rose Kingsley, daughter of the famous Victorian clergyman, educationalist and writer – most famously of The Water Babies – Charles Kingsley, in 1884. Originally located on the Parade in the building now home to Lloyds Bank, the school moved to its current location at Beauchamp Hall in 1922, where it has been ever since.