Lucky escape for residents during house fire - The Leamington Observer

Lucky escape for residents during house fire

Leamington Editorial 23rd Jun, 2017 Updated: 23rd Jun, 2017   0

FLAMES engulfed the kitchen of a house in Kenilworth yesterday.

Firefighters were called to Reeve Drive on Thursday evening (June 22) where they found smoke billowing from the house.

Crews located the fire in the kitchen where they were able to contain it.

But the rapid spread of flames had caused extensive smoke damage throughout the home, except for one room to which the door was closed.




Watch Commander Keith McDermott said that the incident highlighted the importance of keeping doors closed, which in a fire, could reduce smoke and damage to the property.

The fire is believed to have started by a portable air conditioning unit, taken down from the loft that day.


The smoke was so thick the fire crew needed to feel along the walls to find their way, as well as facing severe heat.

Although their fire alarms did not have any batteries, the residents managed to escape their home uninjured.

Keith added: “On this occasion, the residents were very lucky. They spotted the fire and were able to get out of the property and call the fire service. However, had this happened during the night, then we could well be talking about fatalities today. So please ensure that you have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home – they do save lives!”

Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck for safety advice.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.