MPs face up to future on outside after Brexit - The Leamington Observer

MPs face up to future on outside after Brexit

Leamington Editorial 1st Jul, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

MPS have expressed disappointment after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

The district’s two Conservative MPs, Warwick and Leamington’s Chris White and Kenilworth and Southam’s Jeremy Wright had both campaigned to remain.

Mr White said: “I share the same disappointment as many local residents who have contacted me about the result in the last few days. I would like to pay tribute to the representatives from other parties who put politics to one side and worked together in a positive way towards a shared goal. It was remarkable that in the West Midlands, Warwick district was the only one to remain.

“It is now of the utmost importance that we focus on creating stability but I am confident that the issue of leaving the European Union will receive extensive scrutiny and debate in Parliament, of which I will play a role – not least through my membership of the Business, Innovation and Skills Select Committee and my commitment to manufacturing.

“Warwick and Leamington is unique in its makeup in terms of the local economy. We are home to creative industries, to a thriving technology sector and to manufacturing companies both large and small. The local area will continue to be my priority as events unfold and working together we will continue to prosper through our sense of community, our energy and our dynamism; something of which I believe we can be very proud.”

Mr Wright, who is also Attorney General, said it was now important to build for the future.

He told the Observer: “Britain has made a clear decision to leave the European Union and the government’s job now is to carry out the will of the British people.

“I understand the Prime Minister’s decision to resign though I profoundly regret it. He made the brave and right decision to give the electorate a say directly on the question of our membership of the EU. We should now come together to build a future outside it.”

Residents in Warwick district voted 58.8 per cent (47,976 votes) in favour of remaining, while 41.2 per cent (33,642) voted to leave the EU. Turnout in the district was 79.4 per cent.

Warwick was the only district in the county to vote remain, with Stratford, Rugby, North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth, all voting in favour of a Brexit.

In neighbouring Stratford district, where Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi backed a Brexit, 51.6 per cent (40,817) of residents were in favour of leaving with 48.4 per cent (38,341) voting to remain. Turnout was 80.8 per cent.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.