One in three electric blankets fail tests - The Leamington Observer

One in three electric blankets fail tests

Leamington Editorial 17th Oct, 2017   0

FAULTS were found in one in three electric blankets safety-tested in Warwickshire.

More than 350 tests – on 288 blankets and 63 small electrical devices – were carried out across the county by trading standards working with an electrical engineer.

As well as faults found with a third of the blankets, on in four of the electrical items were also potentially dangerous.

Problems identified included faulty switches or damage to internal wiring, while others were the subject of product recalls, and some were so old they did not have any overheat protection designed to stop them catching fire if a fault developed.

Warwickshire County Council safety spokesman Howard Roberts said: “Faulty electrical devices are a contributory factor in many house fires and I’m pleased that through this service we have been able to both give residents confidence that their appliances are safe and remove unsafe electrical products from people’s homes.”

The electric blanket testing campaign has finished but owners are urged to check the safety of their own blankets by looking for warning signs, including signs fabric is worn or frayed, scorch marks, damaged or missing tie tapes are damaged, worn flex, and loose connections.

Visit for further details.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.