A PASSERBY seized a thief who was targeting unlocked vehicles in Kenilworth.
Sam Joseph Ogden of Binswood Avenue in Leamington, was stopped by the member of the public after targeting unlocked vehicles on Queens Road on Saturday April 28.
The 20-year-old was arrested and appeared at Warwick Magistrates Court on Monday (April 30).
He pleaded guilty to two counts of interfering with a motor vehicle, and was sentenced to four weeks in prison.
He will also serve 12 weeks to run concurrently after a suspended sentence handed down to Ogden in December was activated.
Insp David Kettle said: “Ogden was arrested following the quick thinking of a member of the public. We’d like to thank them for their help.
“We have had a focus on car crime in South Warwickshire in recent months and we hope this conviction sends out a warning to others.
“Ogden was targeting unlocked vehicles to steal from – this highlights the importance of removing valuables from your vehicle and ensuring it is locked when you leave it.”
Police have advised the following to ensure vehicles are secure:
– Park in open well-lit and secure areas wherever possible.
– Ensure windows, sunroof and boot are all secured and doors locked when leaving a vehicle unattended, no matter how briefly.
– Drivers should always take the keys when leaving the vehicle unattended.
– Remove any valuables and belongings from vehicles.
– Remove sat navs and its cradle, and wipe away any sucker marks.
– Fit an alarm or immobiliser.
– Activate the steering lock – whenever and wherever you park.
– Have vehicle registration numbers etched on each of the windows.
– Postcode vehicles stereo using an ultraviolet marker