Received an unwanted Christmas gift - no problem - The Leamington Observer

Received an unwanted Christmas gift - no problem

Leamington Editorial 1st Jan, 2023   0

A GUIDE on how to return faulty or unwanted Christmas gifts has been released by Warwickshire Trading Standards.

The shopper’s guide details how to return gifts over the Christmas and New Year period – whether the gifts are faulty or simply unwanted.

Warwickshire County Council’s community safety spokesman, Coun Andy Crump said: “If something’s gone wrong and you need to return a product you have either bought or been given, read our shopper’s guide so you know your consumer rights.”

Under the law, a shop only has to accept the return of a faulty product from the person who bought it – although many shops are happy to overlook this- so anyone who is the recipient of a faulty gift needs to ask the buyer to return the item on their behalf.

However, although not part of consumer law, if people have a gift receipt, the recipient of the gift can usually return it themselves (depending upon the reason for the return).

In most cases, if the item is faulty or misdescribed the purchaser has up to 30 days in which it can be returned for a full refund. After 30 days they still have the right to a repair or replacement – and a full refund if this is not possible. This applies both to goods purchased online or in a shop.

Don’t be put off by signs such as ‘No Refunds on Sale Items’. People’s consumer rights apply equally to full price and sale products.

Buyers don’t have a legal right to return goods bought from a shop, simply because they have changed your mind. However, many shops do have their own returns policies and some allow no quibble returns.

But, when shopping from home, for example on the internet, shoppers do have additional legal rights. In most cases people can change their mind and cancel their order up to 14 days from delivery of the goods.

Buyers who paid using a credit or debit card may be able to claim against the card provider if the item wasn’t delivered or was faulty and the trader disappears or goes bust.

Always keep a proof of purchase (eg a receipt), as it may be asked for when returning goods.

For more consumer advice contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133 or visit

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Leamington Observer.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.