Residents and businesses advised on what they need to do ahead of Brexit - The Leamington Observer

Residents and businesses advised on what they need to do ahead of Brexit

Leamington Editorial 21st Dec, 2020   0

WITH days to go before the UK leaves the European Union, Warwickshire residents and businesses are being reminded what they need to do to be transition ready.

Warwickshire County Council (WCC) is telling residents and businesses that it is not too late to get ready for the EU Exit on December 31.

The council advised businesses to consider the following.

– Any staff working between the UK and EU after December 31 may need a visa or work permit.

– With free movement ending and the UK introducing a new points-based immigration system, the way businesses hire from the EU is changing. From January 1, businesses hiring anyone from outside the UK should be a Home Office licenced sponsor. This includes recruiting people from the EU.

– Anyone coming to the UK to work will need a job offer from a licenced sponsor in advance and will need to meet certain skills and salary criteria.

– Businesses which transfer data between the UK and the EU will need to prepare for new rules around personal data. Anyone receiving personal data from the EU for business use may need to take action on data protection.

– Businesses that import and export goods can continue to trade with the EU after December 31 but they will need to follow new rules for exporting, including changes to processes and licensing.

– Businesses that deliver services between the UK and the EU must ensure their staff are able to continue to practise and provide services to clients in the UK next year by ensuring their professional qualifications are recognised by their professional body in the UK.

WCC also issued the follwing advice to Warwickshire residents.

– The biggest change for residents will be if they are travelling to European countries after December 31.

– From January 1, there will be new rules to travel to Europe. Things people may need to do before travelling include checking the validity of their passport, getting travel insurance to cover their healthcare, checking they have the right driving documents, organising pet travel and checking roaming policies with mobile phone providers.

– Any EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in Warwickshire who wishes to continue staying in the UK will need to apply for Settled Status.

WCC deputy leader Coun Peter Butlin said: “With the challenges posed by the covid-19 pandemic for both our residents and our businesses, I am sure that the UK’s transition from the European Union has not been at the forefront of people’s minds. This said, there are things that people need to be aware of and businesses need to be ready for the UK’s exit on December 31 2020.

“I would urge all our residents and businesses to visit the website and find out what they need to do before it is too late.”

Visit for the most up-to-date information and guidance about the EU Transition in Warwickshire.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.