Rise in Warwickshire kitchen fires sparks safety warning - The Leamington Observer

Rise in Warwickshire kitchen fires sparks safety warning

A RISE in kitchen fires across Warwickshire has sparked a safety warning.

The kitchen might be the ‘heart of the home’ to many, but it is also the room in which fires are most likely to start, so it’s vital that all members of the family know of the dangers and how to keep themselves safe.

That’s the message from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service, who saw a rise in the number of accidental fires related to cooking, as well as white goods that can often be found in kitchens, such as tumble dryers.

Top kitchen safety tips from WFRS to reduce the risk of fire include never leave cooking unattended, don’t cook under the influence of alcohol and take care if wearing loose clothing when cooking as this can easily catch light.




Keep tea towels, clothes and electrical leads away from the cooker and hob. Make sure saucepan handles are not sticking out from the hob or over a naked flame. And be careful when deep-fat frying or cooking with oil, as hot oil can catch fire easily.

With the February half-term around the corner, many children will be spending more time in the kitchen. Whether they’re lending a hand or simply seeking a snack, it’s important to make sure that they know the hazards that are present.


Residents are encouraged to include children in kitchen activities and use it as a chance to educate them about the risks and potential dangers that can be found.

Warwickshire County Council’s fire spokesperson Coun Andy Crump said: “The kitchen is one of the busiest areas in the home, but also one of the most dangerous if you’re not taking the right precautions.

“Keep distractions to a minimum while cooking. It might feel OK to turn your back for a few seconds, or to dash out of the room for something, but it only takes seconds for fire to break out so please follow our safety precautions to keep yourself and loved ones safe, particularly children.

“Make sure all electrical appliances are in good working order. If you have any doubts, don’t use them. Don’t forget, if fire breaks out don’t try to fight it yourself – get out, stay out and call 999.”

For further advice on fire safety visit https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafety

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.