Warwick district votes for Britain to remain in the EU - The Leamington Observer

Warwick district votes for Britain to remain in the EU

Leamington Editorial 24th Jun, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

WARWICK district bucked the national trend by voting for Britain to remain in the European Union.

But their vote was in vain as 52 per cent of the country’s electorate chose to leave with just 48 per cent opting to remain.

It means Britain will now no longer be a member of the European Union.

Residents in Warwick district went to the polls on Thursday (June 23) and 58.8 per cent (47,976 votes) were in favour of remaining while 41.2 per cent (33,642) voted to leave the EU.

Overall turnout in the district was 79.4 per cent.

Key political figures have been campaigning in recent weeks in a bid to convince voters.

Warwick and Leamington MP Chris White and Kenilworth and Southam MP Jeremy Wright voted to stay in the EU but their Stratford counterpart Nadhim Zahawi backed the leave campaign.

Speaking after the result, Mr Wright said it was important to build for the future.

He told the Observer: “Britain has made a clear decision to leave the European Union and the government’s job now is to carry out the will of the British people.

“I understand the Prime Minister’s decision to resign though I profoundly regret it. He made the brave and right decision to give the electorate a say directly on the question of our membership of the EU. We should now come together to build a future outside it.”

Warwick was the only district in the county to vote remain with Rugby, North Warwickshire, Nuneaton and Bedworth and Stratford all voting in favour of a Brexit.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.