RESIDENTS across Warwickshire are urged to put fire safety at the top of their Christmas list.
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service is flagging up the various fire hazards of the festive season.
These include Christmas lights. WFRS says residents should check their fairy lights are safe before they use them, particularly if they have been packed away for the past year, and make sure they conform to British Standard. Fairy lights should also always be turned off before leaving the house.
Be careful with candles. Place candles on a heatproof surface and keep them out of the reach of children and away from decorations, cards, wrapping paper and fabrics. Never leave candles burning unattended.
Real Christmas trees should not be placed close to a heat source such as fireplaces, heat vents and candles. The heat will dry out the tree and cause it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks. Always keep the tree stand filled with water to prevent the tree drying out and becoming a fire risk.
Shop carefully to prevent buying counterfeit goods that don’t meet safety standards and pose a fire risk. Only purchase from a reputable retailer.
Stay safe in the kitchen. While cooking up a festive feast, residents should make sure they keep themselves and those around them safe. Keep flammable items such as tea towels and oven gloves away from hob rings as they can set them alight, watch children if they’re helping in the kitchen and never leave them or cooking unattended.
Warwickshire County Council’s fire spokesman Andy Crump said: “We want everyone to enjoy Christmas and the excitement it brings. This is a good opportunity to remind everyone to follow our safety tips and stay fire safe over the festive period.
“We understand that the season is filled with fun and celebrations but these shouldn’t distract from keeping ourselves and our loved ones safe from the risk of fire.”
For more information visit https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/fire-safety-home/christmas-safety-tips