DOG owners are being warned to keep their pets away from the temptation of leftovers this Christmas, after a spate of dogs were admitted to a Warwickshire vets suffering from poisoning caused by eating mouldy food.
Avonvale Vets has reported an increase in fungal poisoning cases at its Warwick and Stratford practices, where dogs have ingested toxins from mouldy cheese and other foods such as butter, bread and yoghurt.
The condition, known as mycotoxicosis, can cause dogs to vomit, tremble and suffer from seizures, as well as becoming disorientated and weak.
Once a dog has ingested a toxin there is no means of preventing the symptoms taking hold, so owners are being urged to ensure their pets do not have easy access to anywhere that gone-off leftovers may be found, such as waste or compost bins.
Two Cockapoos were admitted to Avonvale’s Stratford practice after eating cheese, while a Springer Spaniel, Jack Russell and Labrador were all treated at the group’s Warwick practice after eating a variety of foods which were past their best.
Simon Davies, veterinary surgeon at the Warwick practice, said: “We know our pets will give in to temptation even more than we do over the festive season, so it’s very important to ensure any mouldy leftovers are disposed of properly in a place where dogs can’t find them.
“Eating fungal toxins can lead to some unpleasant symptoms which can’t be halted once they’ve taken hold, so in prevention is very much better than cure.”
The effects of eating toxins will normally pass within 24 to 48 hours if the dog is treated swiftly by a vet, who will focus on keeping the animal cool, hydrated and controlling seizures.
Visit www.avonvets.co.uk for further details.