A WORKING fire alarm and a quick-thinking neighbour helped save a family with twins from a house fire in Wellesbourne.
Crews from the village were called to a property in Hunscote Lane around 12.30am on Thursday (June 9).
The fire had already been put out by the time the team arrived but they used cameras to check the roof space and ensure the blaze was completely extinguished before helping to fully ventilate the house.
The fire was caused by an extractor fan, which was left running to circulate cool air.
When it burned out, it caused a blaze in the roof space of the kitchen.
But what saved the family and their three-year-old twins was their fire alarm and a quick-thinking neighbour, who isolated the power and used a fire extinguisher on the affected area.
The latest incident has prompted fire chiefs to remind residents to ensure they have a working smoke alarm in their home at all times.
Watch Commander for Wellesbourne, Andy McKelivie said: “On this occasion the family had a lucky escape thanks to the early warning from their smoke alarms and the quick actions of their neighbour.
“Had there been no smoke alarms, we could well have been looking at a different story so please don’t delay in fitting a smoke alarm in your home.
“They give you the early warning you need and ensure you get to keep the ones you love safe.”
Free home fire safety checks are available to vulnerable residents.
Visit www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck for further information.