Wellesbourne resident who saved her elderly neighbour from a fire receives bravery award - The Leamington Observer

Wellesbourne resident who saved her elderly neighbour from a fire receives bravery award

Leamington Editorial 17th Apr, 2023   0

A QUICK-thinking Wellesbourne resident who saved her elderly neighbour from a fire in their bungalow has received a bravery award.

Monica Lemon was commended by Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service at a ceremony after rushing to 93-year-old Joyce Cook’s aid during a fire in February.

Monica was in her bungalow when she smelt smoke. Thinking the smell was inside her home she searched until she realised the smoke was coming from outside. Once outside Monica could see smoke pouring out of Joyce’s bungalow and another neighbour quickly raised the alarm to say that Joyce was still inside.

Without thinking and acting purely on instinct, Monica entered the bungalow through the front door. She couldn’t see to begin with as the smoke was so thick, but then suddenly saw the white of Joyce’s hair so grabbed her and pulled her outside.

Once outside the fire crew arrived and took swift action to put the fire out and rescue Joyce’s cat, while ambulance colleagues checked over those involved in the incident.

When the crew explained to Joyce that she had lost her kitchen, she replied: “I could do with a new carpet anyway”.

Although Joyce received medical attention at the scene, Joyce, Monica and the cat are now all OK.

Joyce has since been re-housed in a neighbouring bungalow, so the two friends will remain neighbours.

Mrs Lemon was presented with a Certificate of Commendation by Warwickshire Fire and Rescue’s Chief Fire Officer, Ben Brook.

Also in attendance was Mrs Lemon’s daughter, son-in-law, Ms Cook and her family as well as the crew who attended the fire on February 21.

Ben Brook said: “Monica acted quickly when she saw that Ms Cook’s property was on fire and rushed in to rescue her friend. Without her quick actions and willingness to help, this incident could have had a very different story.

“While Monica’s bravery is to be commended, we wouldn’t recommend that anyone run into a burning building in any circumstance. You could be putting yourself into severe danger. If you discover fire, get out, stay out, call 999 and wait for the emergency services to arrive.

“Luckily for all involved, this ended with a real story of bravery, friendship and community spirit for two very lovely neighbours. As the Chief Fire Officer, I was honoured to present Monica with her Certificate of Commendation and delighted that Joyce was there to see her friend receive it.”


Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.