Kenilworth extend unbeaten run to five games - The Leamington Observer

Kenilworth extend unbeaten run to five games

Leamington Editorial 6th Jul, 2018   0

KENILWORTH extended their unbeaten run to five games in Warwickshire League Division One with winning draw against Solihull Blossomfield.

Home skipper Pete Magafas won the toss and elected to bat first.

Openers Dave Edmunds and Adie Sellar got their side off to a fast start, the pair adding 83 for the first wicket before the latter was dismissed for 17.

Edmunds was joined by the in form Sunny Ahmed and the duo continued to keep the scoreboard moving at a good pace, putting on 60 in 12 overs, before Edmunds was dismissed for a fine 79.

His innings contained 13 boundaries and one six, leaving Kenilworth at 143-2 after 26 overs.

Ahmed and next man in Magafas continued to find runs easy to come by, putting 86 together for the third wicket.

The score was at 229-3 at the fall of Ahmed’s wicket who made yet another 50, including six fours and one maximum.

Magafas fell for 49 as Kenilworth posted 277-7 from their 50 overs.

Steve Rhodes and Muhammad Nayeem opened up the bowling for the home side looking for early wickets.

Matty Clark fell for no score, leaving the visitors at 11-1.

Edward Thompson joined Naveed Bishir and these two began to build a partnership, eventually putting on 91 for the second wicket as Blossomfield looked to make a solid reply at 100-2.

Thompson was then out for 23 and Bishir soon followed, leaving the visitors at 105-3.

Iain Morgan (45) and Sheraz Khan (36) then put on 83 for the third wicket, before both fell on 188.

Jorjeet Singh removed both as Blossomfield were now at 188-5.

The left arm spin of Jorjeet Singh was about to put his side in sight of an unlikely win as Blossomfield subsided to 196-8.

Singh returned with an outstanding 6-42 from 12 overs.

Another wicket fell for Blossomfield who were then at 202-9, leaving Kenilworth two overs to claim victory.

However, the last pair held on as Blossomfield ended on 202-9 from their 50 overs.

The Seconds enjoyed a four-wicket victory over Barby in Division Seven.

Acting Kenilworth captain Charlie Stranks asked the home side to bat first after winning the toss.

Joey Poole and Matt Dadswell opened the bowling for Kenilworth but were unable to make an early breakthrough.

Barby openers Daniel Dury and Christopher Bramley put on a solid 88 for the first wicket before Dury fell for 48.

Joseph Bramley joined his brother at the crease with the duo putting on 36 for the second wicket.

Chris fell one short of his half century while Ben Maney ran Matthew Outhwaite out for 28, leaving the home side on 194-4.

Antony Franks with a brisk 49 not out saw his side post a decent 220-5 from their 50-over allocation.

Seamer Jack Howard (2-24)and Chris Beach (2-34)were pick of the Kenilworth bowlers.

After the tea interval, the visitors’ openers Joey Poole and Jack Howard set about the task of chasing down the 221 to win.

They made a quick start in no time the pair as they put on 71 in 12 overs when Howard was out for 30.

Elliot Hayes Sorrell joined Poole but was out for 11 with Kenilworth now at 102-2.

Next man in Ben Maney made a brisk 29, including a massive six down the ground, to leave the visitors well placed at 156-3 after 24 overs.

Michael Watts, playing his first game of the season, joined opener Poole, and added 18 runs before the latter was dismissed for a brilliant 74.

Skipper Stranks fell for six now and the sixth wicket fell on 217.

However, Michael Watts with a composed innings of 37 not out saw his side home as Kenilworth finished on 221-6 in the 44th over.

Elsewhere, the Thirds suffered a 95-run reverse to Winchombe in Division Six of the Cotswold Hills League.

Opening bowlers Geoff Edmunds and debutant Kiran Shanker shared the new ball.

Edmunds struck early, bowling Harry Davis (0) for no score.

Will Major joined Darren Peck at the crease and the pair looked to expose the gaps in the Kenilworth field.

They put on a quick-fire stand of 102 for the second wicket before Major was caught at long on for an aggressive 65.

There was two wickets for Anthony Kerry (3-51) who removed Peck (44) and Josh Allen (10), leaving Winchcombe at 136-4.

In Krishan Umashanker’s third spell he picked up a deserved first senior wicket, bowling Adam Andrews for 30.

Matthew Orzel hit an unbeaten 17 as Winchcombe finished on 234-7 from 45 overs.

Umer Umashanker and Kerry opened the Kenilworth reply.

They put on a solid 40 before Kerry was caught for ten.

Kenilworth were soon at 40-2 with Andy Dadswell the next to join the crease with Umashanker.

The pair added 32 for the third wicket before Umashanker was removed for 45.

Krishan Umashanker was then caught for two, leaving Kenilworth at 77-4.

Skipper Sam Leach joined Dadswell and these two soon got the scoreboard moving again.

They put on 46 for the fifth wicket before Leach was bowled for 29 and soon after Dadswell was also out for 30.

From 134-6, the score soon became 139-8 and then 139 all out.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.