Kenilworth put Malvern loss behind them to defeat Nuneaton - The Leamington Observer

Kenilworth put Malvern loss behind them to defeat Nuneaton

RUGBY UNION: KENILWORTH bounced back from defeat to Malvern last week to secure a 34-5 bonus point victory over Nuneaton Old Edwardians, writes Sophie Freestone.

The visitors started the match strongest, scoring a try on their first venture deep into the Kenilworth 22.

Winger Tay Brown was on hand to touch down by the posts after a five metre line out gave the visitors good field position and put the Kenilworth defence under serious pressure. The conversion attempt went wide of the uprights.

Kenilworth responded well though and soon scored a try of their own.

Excellent play with accurate passing saw Harry Kaufman in space on the left wing as the centre dived over in the corner to open his side’s account for an unconverted try.

Four minutes later and the hosts were back on the scoreboard, this time through Selby who dotted down under the posts after Kenilworth were awarded a penalty deep in the Nuneaton OEs’ 22.

Scrum half Gareth Renowden caught the visitors napping, taking a quick tap penalty before offloading to Selby for the try. Selby then added the extras from the tee for a 12-5 lead.

Nuneaton then found themselves down to 14 men after 22 minutes when fly half Tom Burdett was shown a yellow card for killing the ball just five metres out from his side’s try line.

Selby made no mistake with the penalty, slotting the three points to extend his side’s lead to 15-5 midway through the opening 40.

Holding a ten point lead, Kenilworth continued to push for a two score lead at half time. And their efforts were rewarded four minutes into injury time when full back Rob Thomason kicked through.

Good pressure from the chasing Rhys Jones put Nuneaton OEs’ defence under the pressure in their own 22, forcing the turnover.

The ball then moved infield with prop Jimmy Scott going over under the posts. Selby’s conversion ensured his side had a 17 point cushion at the break with the score at 22-5 in Kenilworth’s favour.

The home side secured a four-try bonus point ten minutes into the second half having string together a series of phases, allowing Dan Minks the chance to score in the corner.

A further try from Mikkel Andresen deep into the second half registered 34 points for Kenilworth. And from their the score remaining unaltered.

The result sees Kenilworth climb to fourth in the league on 11 points after three matches.

Kenilworth are next in action on Saturday, October 14, with a trip to Old Yardleians.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.