Leamington Brakes record second win of the season at Histon - The Leamington Observer

Leamington Brakes record second win of the season at Histon

Leamington Editorial 17th Aug, 2015 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016   0

BRAKES produced an assured performance to ease to their first win on the road in the Evostik Southern League Premier Division this season away at Histon.

Goals from Lee Moore, Rob Ogleby and James Mace earned leamington a comfortable 3-0 win at the Glassworld Stadium on Saturday which pushes them up to eighth in the table after three games.

“I thought the first 45 minutes was probably the best in a long time in terms of being the opposing half, keeping the ball and creating chances,” said Brakes boss Paul Holleran.

“If it wasn’t for some poor finishing the game would have been finished after 20 minutes.

“We weren’t as fluent in the second half, we still had the best chances in the game but when it opened up towards the end we had that little bit of quality to wrap things up.”

The opening exchanges saw Leamington come within a whisker of taking immediate control with Richard Taundry firing a free kick towards the Histon penalty area which was knocked on by Jack Edwards into the path of Ben Mackey who was inches from diverting it into the net in front of goal.

Mackey saw another shot deflected as he quickly had another opportunity, and Brakes went even closer when

Ben George drove a low cross into the area which was met first time by Edwards but his shot on the turn came back off the upright.

Edwards then lifted a fine ball out to Mackey on the left edge of the penalty box and he sent a stinging volley towards the near post which brought out the best in Stutes keeper Denzel Gerrar who got down quickly to help the ball behind for a corner.

A Histon defender was apparently off the pitch receiving treatment when the opening goal arrived.

Goalkeeper Tony Breeden sent his long clearance down the left where Moore got the better of right-back Max York before cutting across the edge of the box and burying a powerful low drive into the bottom corner.

The hosts had claims for handball dismissed by the referee before the break but it was Moore’s effort that proved to be the difference between the two sides at the mid-way point.

Mace saw a couple of early second half headers saved by Gerrar, while Mackey was just beaten to Ogleby’s low driven cross in from the right by the Histon keeper.

At the other end Hood was at his imperious best to snuff out any sign of a threat from the busy Stutes front line.

He did well prevent Sam Ives from having a clear run at goal before a well timed header ended another move as the hosts began to build up a head of steam.

Taundry fired a free kick well over the bar before a smart diagonal through ball for Ogleby saw the striker dig out a shot under pressure from Jack Uttridge which was easily claimed by Gerrar.

His next effort outwitted everyone however, as he picked up possession on the right of the box before sending a shot looping into the far corner to delight the travelling support behind the goal.

Mace then put the icing on the cake as he rose highest to power home Ross Oulton’s free kick with seven minutes remaining.

Breeden was required to make a couple of routine saves as the hosts gallantly attempted to cut the deficit late on, but they finished well beaten, something their manager Brian Page freely admitted after the game.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.