RUGBY UNION - Claverdon RFC stay perfect in top of the table thriller against Old Wheatleyans - The Leamington Observer

RUGBY UNION - Claverdon RFC stay perfect in top of the table thriller against Old Wheatleyans

LUKE SIBLEY scored a late try as Claverdon RFC beat Old Wheatleyans 25-19 to secure a 12th successive victory in a thrilling top of the table clash.


Sibley settled a tense affair after George Redwood and Sam Turrell had scored first-half tries with Chris Calcott kicking two penalties and two conversions.


The result means Claverdon are now 13 points clear at the top of the Midlands 4 West (South) table after maintaining their perfect start to the season.


Claverdon brought a large travelling support to the fixture in Coventry and made their early territorial advantage count when Calcott kicked a pair of penalties.


And the visitors then scored their first try when Redwood finished off a length of the field move from Alex Grove’s floated pass.


A last ditch tackle from Charlie Wakelam prevented the hosts’ first score before Claverdon struck against the run of play.


An excellent turnover by Charlie Byrd allowed James Williams to make a clearing kick that was superbly caught by Grove before the ball was recycled to Byrd who fed Turrell to score underneath the posts.


Calcott’s successful conversion sent Claverdon into the break with a commanding 18-0 lead at Norman Place Road.


However, Old Wheats were quick to reduce the deficit in the second period with a quick tap penalty after Claverdon were penalised deep inside their own half.


And the home side were quick to score again when Claverdon lost a scrum and were unable to prevent a try being scored in the corner.


Old Wheatleyans then ran in their third try after Claverdon repeatedly failed to find touch and the hosts produced a slick move before using the overlap to score.


The successful conversion handed Old Wheats a 19-18 lead with less than 10 minutes to go.


However, the home side were reduced to 14-men when they conceded one penalty too many and Claverdon made their advantage count almost immediately.


Sibley used his pace to score the game’s decisive try after a ruck in Old Wheats’s 22 was spun wide and James Kirby coolly drew in the last defender to create space for Sibley on the wing.


This try prompted wild celebrations from the Claverdon support as Calcott brilliantly kicked the conversion from the sideline to put Claverdon into a 25-18 lead.


Old Wheats pressed hard to reclaim the lead but Claverdon held firm, despite receiving a late yellow card, to extend their unbeaten run to 12 matches.


Claverdon are next in action at home to Bedworth on Saturday, January 29 with kick-off at 2.15pm at Ossetts Hole Lane.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Advertise with the Leamington Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Leamington Observer newspaper.