Second half fightback sees Harbury beat struggling Keresley - The Leamington Observer

Second half fightback sees Harbury beat struggling Keresley

Leamington Editorial 26th Apr, 2017 Updated: 26th Apr, 2017   0

RUGBY UNION: HARBURY produced a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ type of performance against the Midlands 4 West (South) basement boys but eventually ran out 36-17 winners in their final match of the season.

The hosts seemed to show a lack of respect towards their opponents in the first half with a lackadaisical display, but Harbury hit back after the break to record their eighth victory of the season.

Keresley took an early lead through their forwards with a converted try and Harbury tried to hit back and it took a strong and determined run from centre Steve Alford to score wide out.

Harbury had a chance to take advantage of the restart but a dropped ball provided Keresley with the field position they were seeking. Harbury then were penalised in front of the posts for not releasing and Keresley’s outside half added the points to give his team a seven point lead after 25 minutes.

The hosts put in a woeful display for the remainder of the first half and they let Keresley in again for another try which was converted to put the visitors two converted scores ahead at the break.

The second half could not have been different as Harbury strengthened their pack and made key changes at half back. This not only provided greater stability upfront but also enabled the ball to move at speed to the back line.

In winning quick ball from the kick off Steve Alford showed his speed and strength as he scythed his way through the visiting backline to touch down beneath the posts for his second try converted by Dave Rooney.

This was quickly followed by two sharp tries from Ricky Alford who used his pace and nous to add a third try, again converted by Rooney.

Alford added a second again converted wide out by Rooney to add the bonus point and take his team seven points clear.

Harbury continued their aggressive approach and a well judged kick ahead by flanker Luke Dunne was quickly followed up and the ball was picked up by Mark Anderson to take the total to 29-17.

Alford added his third again converted by Rooney to extend the lead to 19 points and despite being reduced to 14-men late on, Keresley were unable to make the most of their numerical advantage and could not find another breakthrough.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Leamington Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.